Home Motor Vehicles Corporate Vital Statistics Personal Property Land Titles Boat Testing & Registration Contact

Out-of-Province Drivers Licenses                                

 If you are a new resident in Alberta, you must obtain an Alberta driver’s license within 90 days of moving to Alberta, regardless of whether you travel outside Alberta during those 90 days.

●  If you are working in Alberta but have your residence outside the province, you may continue to use the valid license from your home     jurisdiction.

●  If you are visiting Alberta, you may use your valid license from your home jurisdiction as long as you have a legitimate residence     there and do not take up residency in Alberta.

●  If you are visiting Alberta from outside Canada and using an International Driving Permit (IDP), you may drive in Alberta for up to 12     months using the IDP.

If you are staying in Alberta as a full time student or you are working here as part of a co-op program of study, you may use your valid driver’s license from your home jurisdiction.  

Steps to receive an Alberta License

When applying for an Alberta License of please bring the following:

●  Your out-of-Province license

●  Proof of Alberta residency - a utility, cable or phone bill; mortgage   papers or rental agreement, pay stub from an Alberta employer     with your name & address.

●  Secondary piece of identification such as an original Birth Certificate   or Passport, credit card, bank card or Social Insurance card that     is signed and has your name stamped into the card.

If you have moved from any country outside of Canada, please bring the following:

A valid license from another Canadian jurisdiction can be exchanged for an equivalent class (Classes 1 through 7). Testing is not normally required, but medical and vision requirements must be met.

A medical and proof of vision screening is required for Class 1, 2 and 4 and may be required for all other classes if applicant has a medical condition that may affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.

A valid license from the United States can be exchanged for a Class 5, 6, or 7 when the applicant is presenting a valid license of equivalent class. All other classes requested would require testing and must provide applicable medical and vision screening. All applicants must present immigration and residency documentation and acceptable identification.

Privacy Policy Website Agreement

By E Pluribus Anthony on Wikimedia